Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Lesson

I keep dying again.
Veins collapse, opening like the
Small fists of sleeping
Children.
Memory of old tombs,
Rotting flesh and worms do
Not convince me against
The challenge. The years
And cold defeat live deep in
Lines along my face.
They dull my eyes, yet
I keep on dying,
Because I love to live.
- Maya Angelou
  My reaction to this poem was it was a bit hard to understand at first, but as I read it over and over again, I began to get the general idea of the poem. The poem is teaching a lesson that even when obstacles come in your way in life, you should still live your life. I do like this poem because it is teaching you to live life even
when things try to get in your way. The poetic device used here is symbolism because the veins collapsing and the memories of the old tombs, etc, are symbolizing the obstacles that one may have to overcome in their life so they can keep on living their life. Since this peom is a free verse poem, it doesn't have a rhyme scheme.The theme of this poem is to just keep living your life even when life throws obstacles in the way of you living your life

No comments:

Post a Comment